This position has been filled. Thank you for your interest.
Job Title: Communications and Engagement Director
Location: Helena, Montana. Some local flexibility on location within Montana if a candidate with excellent qualifications can travel to Helena on a regular basis.
Compensation: MEIC offers compensation commensurate with skills and experience and a competitive benefits package that includes: sabbatical leave, paid vacation and holiday leave, sick leave, health insurance, and retirement account contributions after two years of employment. Starting salary for this position will be in the $42,500-$50,000 range.
Reports to: Executive Director. Also works closely with the Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, a resume, and the names and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will begin the week of January 11, 2021.
Scope: The Communications and Engagement Director is responsible for designing and implementing communications and outreach strategies that elevate the visibility of MEIC’s work and increase the number of people in our movement of grassroots supporters. This is a full-time, temporary position for one year, with high likelihood that the position would become permanent after successful job performance during the first year.
Digital communications and outreach
- Develop and manage content for website, email communications, new media platforms, and additional communications avenues. Posting and scheduling content and monitoring analytics to manage adaptively.
- Grow and engage MEIC’s active online network of members, partners, and supporters.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategies to convert online supporters to MEIC event attendees and donors.
- Support staff in planning, creating, and promoting MEIC webinars, other online events, and possibly a podcast.
- Assist with writing and designing MEIC’s quarterly newsletter, fundraising appeals, and other printed materials.
- During legislative sessions, plan and implement outreach and education activities for members and supporters, including event organizing, newsletter and action alert creation and dissemination, and assistance with member engagement.
- Participate in the development of communications strategies that embed MEIC’s equity and justice values into our outreach.
- Plan and coordinate “Meet MEIC” house party events to cultivate new members.
- Work with other staff to plan member engagement, recruitment, and appreciation events across the state.
- Assist in planning and implementing MEIC’s ‘River Runs Brew It’ program events.
- Develop additional engagement opportunities by reaching out to organizations such as faith groups, community organizations, college campuses, and student groups.
- Other program organizing and communication tasks as needed.
Fundraising and development
- Assist with maintaining MEIC’s donor database.
- Help print and send monthly fundraising appeals and donation acknowledgement letters.
- Perform foundation funding opportunity research, support submission of grant proposals and reports.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as needed.
Knowledge, Competencies, & Skills:
- Three years of experience in communications and outreach work with some background in grassroots community organizing and fundraising preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to duties or comparable experience.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and justice and an understanding of how these values intersect with environmental issues.
- Awareness of Montana’s political landscape, especially as it pertains to environmental issues and policies.
- Excellent communication skills with a strong storytelling ability. Capacity to translate technical policy into accessible, engaging language.
- Social and emotional intelligence and the ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Experience in the rapidly changing world of media, including new media platforms and technologies.
- Experience in message development, writing, designing, and disseminating communications materials—both online and in print.
- Experience with some or all of the following programs and platforms a huge plus: macOS, Mailchimp, WordPress, Adobe Creative Suite (such as InDesign and Photoshop), Google Analytics, Microsoft Office for Mac, video editing software, podcasting software, Twitter, FaceBook, and Instagram.
MEIC is a 501(c)(3), member-supported non-profit organization. We work to protect and improve the quality of life in Montana by defending the land, air, water, and life-sustaining climate of our great state – for today and for future generations.
MEIC is committed to a creating an inclusive and equitable workplace. The work environment is friendly, fun, cooperative, and fast-paced. Staff members need to be able to work independently and adapt to changing priorities. MEIC will not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law (“protected classes”). MEIC will make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability in compliance with federal, state, and local law.