Jobs and Internships
Major Gifts Director, Position Advertised on July 14, 2014
The Helena-based Montana Environmental Information Center is seeking a Major Gifts Director. MEIC has been described by one of our primary opponents, the Montana Mining Association, as “the most active and most successful environmental organization in the state.” The person in this permanent, part time (with future possibility of fulltime) position will lead MEIC’s development and implementation of a major donor gifts program. The position is in Helena, one of the West’s most beautiful and affordable small cities.
Position Summary: The Director of Major Gifts (DMG) leads the Montana Environmental Center’s (MEIC) major donor outreach program. His/her primary ongoing responsibilities include prospect identification, cultivation, asking for gifts (preferably in person), thanking and recognition, implementing strategies for donor involvement, and coordinating and supporting participation by staff and board in the major donor program.
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: ½ time with potential for ¾ time
Salary: Commensurate with experience and local standards
Benefits: (Prorated) health insurance, vacation, sick leave, 403b retirement plan
Responsibilities: Major Gifts Program Development and Implementation: Work with the Executive Director and Development Director to design, oversee and implement a comprehensive outreach program to MEIC major donors: those who are currently giving at least $500 annually/$40 per month and those who are perceived to have the capacity to give at that level.
- Relationship Management: Personally manage a targeted portfolio of 50-75 major donor and prospect relationships that s/he will be responsible for cultivating, asking, continuing the relationships and other activities identified by the program.
- Outreach Coordination: Coordinate major donor and prospect outreach – 50-75 additional relationships, initially – by other staff and MEIC board members largely from MEIC’s existing membership base. Tasks include:
- ongoing training for board and staff.
- assigning donor and prospect relationships based on board and staff preferences, existing relationships, and available time.
- ensuring board and staff have appropriate information and materials to accomplish their commitments.
- holding board and staff accountable for follow-through on their commitments to reach out to donors and prospects.
- communicating with board members regarding results of their fundraising efforts.
- list management; updating the database with support from other fundraising staff.
- designing and updating a master calendar to track contact with all major donors and prospects.
- as requested, producing “let’s meet to discuss a gift” and personalized thank you letters for staff and board to sign.
- providing phone support as needed, with the understanding that staff and board should be making their own phone calls to schedule donor appointments • participating in donor visits and “close” gifts as needed when the primary donor contact is another MEIC staff member or a board member
- providing support for major donor house parties organized by board members or other volunteers. • ensuring that all donors, regardless of assignment, are properly thanked and recognized.
- completing other duties as assigned, with the understanding that these other duties are temporary and consistent with the efforts needed to fulfill MEICs mission, and not to interfere with the primary responsibilities of the DMG.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence; superior communication skills (verbal and written), discretion, professionalism, excellent judgment
- Self-motivated with the desire and ability to act independently
- Enthusiasm for and ability to engage others in working toward a shared purpose
- Ability to organize, track and recall large amounts of detailed and sensitive information
- Ability to think systematically and creatively
- Direct supervision of volunteers desired
- Passion for MEIC’s issues
- Energetic, outgoing and resilient
- At least two years experience in the non-profit development field, preferably including major donor asks
- Ability to travel extensively by car with occasional overnight stays, primarily throughout central and western Montana
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and list of 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Application for Major Gifts Director” in the subject line. Position is open until filled.
There are currently no internship openings with MEIC. Please check back for any future openings.