MEIC is hiring a Development Associate.
Location: Helena, Montana
Compensation and Benefits: MEIC offers compensation commensurate with skills and experience. The starting salary range for the position is $39,000-$44,000. MEIC offers a competitive benefits package that includes: paid vacation and holiday leave, sick leave, and health insurance. Additionally, retirement account contributions begin after two years of employment, and sabbatical leave is available after seven years of employment.
Reports To: Executive Director
To Apply: Please combine a cover letter, a resume, and contact information for three references into a SINGLE PDF file (preferably) and email to email@example.com. We will begin interviews the week of July 12, 2021.
Scope: The Development Associate is responsible for supporting the design and implementation of MEIC’s fundraising/development plan. This is a full-time, exempt (salaried) position with a six-month probationary period. The employee would be eligible for permanent status after satisfactory performance during the trial period.
Prospecting and Relationship Development
- Assist with identifying and cultivating prospective donors and major givers.
- Support the Executive Director and other staff and board members in managing a portfolio of relationships with donors and foundation contacts.
- Perform foundation research to identify new funding opportunities.
- Assist with drafting MEIC’s fundraising appeals and other fundraising materials.
- Manage donation acknowledgement processes.
Other Fundraising Tasks
- Assist with maintaining MEIC’s donor database.
- Print and send monthly membership renewal requests.
- Support submission of grant proposals and reports by tracking deadlines and circulating draft documents to staff.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
Event Planning and Implementation
- Assist in planning and managing “Meet MEIC” house party events to cultivate new members.
- Work with other staff to plan member engagement, recruitment, and appreciation events across the state.
- Assist in planning and implementing MEIC’s ‘River Runs Brew It’ program events, the annual board-staff retreat, and the upcoming 50th anniversary celebration events.
- Perform other event planning and implementation tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Competencies, and Skills:
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to manage tasks and deadlines.
- Strong writing skills.
- One or more years of experience in nonprofit fundraising preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field related to job activities, or comparable experience.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and justice, and an understanding of how these values intersect with environmental issues.
- Awareness of Montana’s political landscape, especially pertaining to environmental issues and policies.
- Social and emotional intelligence to enable effective work as a team member and relationship builder for the organization.
- Experience with some or all of the following programs and platforms would be a huge plus: macOS, Mailchimp, donor database systems, WordPress, GoogleDrive, Microsoft Office for Mac, video editing software, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
MEIC is a 501(c)(3), member-supported, nonprofit, non-partisan organization that works to protect and improve the quality of life in Montana by advocating for cleaner land, air, and water, and a life-sustaining climate – for today and for future generations.
An inclusive and equitable workplace is at the core of MEIC’s organizational values. The work environment is friendly, fun, and cooperative. In addition, however, staff members need to be able to work independently and adapt to changing priorities.
MEIC does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law (“protected classes”). MEIC will make reasonable accommodations for a qualified individual with a disability in compliance with federal, state, and local law.
Download this job description as a PDF: MEIC DA position description