This position has been filled. Thanks for your interest!
Type: Temporary, full time position (December 2022 or January 2023 to April 30, 2023)
Location: Helena (strongly preferred) although we may consider Missoula for an exceptional candidate
Reports to: Director of Policy & Legislative Affairs and Communications & Engagement Director
Compensation: $1,550-$2,000 per month, depending on experience (academic credit may be available depending on the requirements of your educational institution).
About the Montana Environmental Information Center:
The Montana Environmental Information Center (MEIC) is a non-profit environmental advocate founded in 1973 by Montanans concerned with protecting and restoring Montana’s natural environment. MEIC is a fun, fast-paced, and cutting edge environmental organization with a long history of success in protecting Montana’s environment and climate. MEIC works in the courts, the Montana Legislature, at state agencies, and through grassroots advocacy to defend the environment and move proactive policy solutions. For nearly 50 years, MEIC has worked on a broad range of statewide environmental and “good government” issues, including climate change, fossil fuel extraction, renewable energy, energy efficiency, air pollution, hardrock mining, water quality, land use, corporate accountability, and constitutional protections including Montanans’ rights to a clean and healthful environment, participate in government decision making, and the freedom of information.
One of MEIC’s most important activities is lobbying the State Legislature on Montana environmental issues. This is the reason MEIC was founded, and since the 1974 legislative session MEIC has been the leading voice for the environment. Montana’s legislature convenes in odd-numbered years from early January through the end of April.
1) Assist MEIC’s lobbying and communications teams in defending and passing progressive energy and environmental policies, and help defend Montana’s constitutional right to a clean and healthful environment, both within and outside the Capitol. This will involve tracking legislation for lobbyists, testifying at hearings, producing fact sheets, helping to manage our online bill tracking system, and other duties as they arise.
2) Help MEIC conduct outreach to its members, legislators, and the public through a variety of electronic, telephone, and social media communication tools.
3) Assist with the development of newsletters and alerts.
4) Assist with production and implementation of online webinars and in-person meetings.
- A commitment to protect Montana’s natural environment.
- The ability to work well with little supervision with a fast-paced collaborative team.
- A willingness to take the initiative on tasks and projects.
- The ability to work well with people from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have a mastery of basic computer skills.
- A familiarity with environmental issues in Montana
- Political, community advocacy, and/or environmental communications experience
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office for Macintosh, WordPress, InDesign, Zoom, and/or a willingness to learn.
October 14, 2022, or until filled.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants please reference “Legislative Assistant” in the subject line and submit a single document that contains a letter of interest, resume, and list of three references via email to email@example.com.
It is the policy of MEIC to provide equal employment opportunity to all qualified individuals without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender, age, disability, or any other characteristics protected by law, in all personnel actions.