Mar 17, 2017
10:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Please join us on March 17th for our third Citizen Lobby Day of the 2017 legislative session. You’ll receive an exclusive training from policy experts in the conservation community on lobbying and a briefing on priority issues. We’ll focus on critical legislation affecting clean energy, clean air, climate change, and land use.
At our lobby day members and supporters will join friends and members from other conservation groups for a training starting in the morning in Helena. Then we will head up to the Capitol to talk with legislators and give testimony in hearings in the afternoon.
When: March 17th from 10am-5pm
Where: Training location: Disability Rights Montana (1022 Chestnut St, Helena, MT 59601)
Organizations: Montana Conservation Voters, Montana Environmental Information Center, Montana Wildlife Federation, Montana Audubon, MontPIRG, Montana Trout Unlimited, Clark Fork Coalition, Montana Smart Growth Coalition.
Policy Small Groups:
- Clean Energy & Net-Metering
- Land Use and Water Policy
- Wildlife and Public Lands
Individual Goals of Training:
- Learn basic lobbying skills, practice “the Ask”
- Know who your legislators are and how to find them today
- Choose one or two specific bills on which to lobby
- Learn about hot conservation issues and the specific legislation affecting clean water, family farmers and ranchers, clean energy, and wildlife
- Meet with your Representative and Senator
- Report the results of your conversation to your Conservation Staff Contact
Schedule: Please note- rides are on your own to and from the Capitol unless otherwise indicated.
- 10:00- Training: Disability Rights Montana (1022 Chestnut St, Helena, MT 59601)
- 11:45- Break for Lunch, Head to the Capitol to meet with legislators
- 12:30- Meet with Legislators before Floor session.
- 1:00- House and Senate Floor Sessions, 4th floor gallery, Capitol
- 3:00- Leave the Capitol for Sen. Jon Tester’s Public Lands Town Hall: Helena Middle School, 1025 N Rodney Street (Auditorium)
- 3:30- Sen. Tester’s Town Hall begins
- 5:00-8:30- MCV annual meeting at the Montana Club 24 W. 6th Avenue
- Featuring Senator Jon Tester & Governor Steve Bullock! Come celebrate the successes and champions of Montana’s conservation community at MCV’s 18th Annual Celebration & Membership Meeting.
10:00 Introductions, Welcome, Shelbi Dantic, MCV
10:30 Lobbying Basics- Shelbi Dantic, MCV
10:45 Policy training, small group sessions – please choose 1
- Clean Energy & Net-Metering: Neal Ullman MT Conservation Voters; Brian Fadie, MEIC
- Land Use and Water Policy: Collin Cooney, MT Trout Unlimited; Anne Hedges, MEIC
- Wildlife and Public Lands: Amy Seaman MT Audubon; Nick Gevock, MT Wildlife Federation; Shelbi Dantic, MT Conservation Voters
11:30 Conclusions, Questions?
11:45 Leave for Capitol
RSVP for Lobby Day